A little while ago now, I wrote a list of 25 things I wanted to achieve before my 25th birthday. I’ve been checking in with the list lately to update my progress, and honestly…I don’t love it. When I wrote the list, I was in a very different place. Since writing it, I moved in with Tom, started a new job, Tom got a new job and started working away in the week and my ambitions changed somewhat. Is it cheating to change a list like this? Some of the goals I wanted then, I don’t want now. Some of them I do still want, but know that, under current circumstances are just not feasible. I have new goals, however, that are feasible before my birthday.
I’ve thought about it a lot, and I’m going to adjust the list. It might be cheating, but if I’m working towards goals anyway, they should be on the list, and those that are longer term goals now, can be pushed back, and perhaps saved for a 30 before 30 list when this one has been finished! So, here we have some reasoning behind the what’s changing.
- Complete the first-draft of a novel – Still happening! I’ve clarified that I mean first-draft, not the full edit.
- Learn to drive – Coming off. I just can’t afford it. On to the 30 before 30 it goes.
- Visit Rome – Coming off. Again, with paying more of the rent on my own on the flat, there just isn’t the budget for holidays.
- Get a cat – In all likelihood, it’ll be a while before I live somewhere cat friendly (and have the funds for vet emergencies!). Coming off
Move in with Tomcompleted 16/12/13
- Complete Couch to 5k
- Complete the 30 Day Shred
- Buy a good camera – Coming off. For now, I’m using Tom’s perfectly nice camera. I have more need of other things right now.
- Join a gym (and actually go!) – coming off because I don’t want to do it! I’m not a gym person. I’m quite happy with an exercise routine that I can do on my own at home
- Clear my overdraft
- Save £1000 – coming off. I want to get my savings account looking healthier, but I don’t have enough spare money to save this amount in less than a year.
- Visit Paris (again) – coming off, for the same reasons Rome is off.
- Learn to cook a proper Sunday roast
- See a show in London
- Learn to cook Pad Thai
- Learn to make Paella
- Win NaNoWriMo again
Complete a Photo a Day challenge– completed 31/12/13 Go to London Fashion Week for at least one day– completed 15/02/14
- Try 10 cocktails I’ve never tried before – 9/10 (New cocktails tried: Amaretto Sour, Elderflower Fizz, Tequilacolada, Orange…something from Alfie Bird’s, Strawberry Daiquiri, Vanilla and Passion fruit Mojito, Bramble, Rude Cosmopolitan, Blueberry and Hazelnut Daiquiri)
- Enter 3 writing competitions/submit three things for publication
- Read everything on the BBC’s Big Read Top 100 list – 59/100
- Learn to make the perfect Cosmopolitan
- Visit ten museums and art galleries – 2/10 (Jane Austen Museum, No. 1 Royal Crescent)
- Expand my blog to at least 100 followers on BlogLovin’ – 77/100
So, that leaves me with 7 spaces on the list for new goals, and 6 goals for a 30 before 30 list! But first, let’s tackle those new goals.
- Complete The 30 Day Freelance Lifestyle E-course – I was so inspired by Emma’s talk at Blognix, and this e-course will help me decide for sure if freelancing is for me, and add a little extra income alongside my full-time job.
- Earn enough from freelancing/blogging to cover my blogging costs – Blogging costs money; hosting and domain fees, travel to events, conference costs…in the long-term I’d love earn extra money from this, but breaking even would be a good start!
- Start a podcast – whether it’s solo or with some mates, I really want to do this after the amazing workshop at Blognix.
- Reach 600 followers on Twitter – My social media presence is growing, slowly, and I’d love to boost it.
- Reach 100 likes on Facebook
- Reach 200 followers on Pinterest
- Make Project Wonder Woman into a video series or podcast – ok, so this could tick off my podcast goal too, but I’d love to expand Project Wonder Woman into something bigger and better!
What do you think of my changes? Is it ok to change your goals halfway through a mission like this? Or am I a terrible person?