Unless you’ve been living under a rock, you’re probably aware of a marketing stunt from McDonalds that majorly backfired. After Rick and Morty referenced the limited edition Szechuan Sauce from McDonalds, demand for the sauce suddenly exploded. Originally only available as a promotional item in 1998, as part of a menu themed on the release of Mulan, McDonalds brought the sauce back for one day only. Unfortunately, they severely underestimated the demand, and police were called as Rick and Morty fans expressed their outrage.
If, like me, you’re a fan of the show, but not willing to get into a fist fight in a fast-food restaurant, you’re in luck, because I’ve trawled the internet for the best copycat recipes that you can make in the comfort of your own kitchen, and hopefully not have to call the police.
- Reddit user Xeropoint developed a recipe with his Dad, This version involves drinking a lot of Plum Sake…
- Binging with Babish tested a few different options out on his YouTube channel.
- If you’re feeling fancy, Ina Garten‘s sauce from her Szechuan Noodles recipe is a tasty option.
- If you’re less fancy, this recipe from Nicole McLaughlin is a no frills, low equipment version.
- Or do no cooking at all, and get McDonalds Barbeque Sauce and their Sweet and Sour sauce and mix the two together. I suspect this is properly how it was made in the first place…